Monday, January 7, 2008

holy clothes!

When I embarked on this mission, blogging my year of strict second-hand shopping, I had organized my future posts into two categories: thrift stores and consumerism. Only seven days into my 365-day goal, a third theme has surprised me: spirituality. This probably does not surprise those who know me well, but in my effort to take myself less seriously in this blog, I never intended on preaching a sermon. Nonetheless, a new perspective on shopping has inspired me to re-evaluate my faith.

To be perfectly honest, I cannot remember the last time I opened my Bible on my own. When I came across Colossians 3:12-17 out of context, I felt like reading more into it actually opening my Bible.

The chapter, 3:1-10, begins by talking about holy living, dying to old habits, and making new ones - even Paul believed that old habits were easier to break when replaced by positive actions. My tangible understanding of this is the replacement of first-hand with that of second-hand shopping. Verses 12-17 talk about putting on love and clothing one's self with compassion - now that's a priceless outfit! This may sound trite, but the references made to this "holy clothing" bridged my fashion blogging to my spiritual searching.

These clothes of compassion and love, however, do not fit without the preceding one-size-fits-all statement in verse 11. Paul states that all people, regardless of their race or social status, are equal in this compassion of Christ. I translated this verse differently as I read it, but the meaning does not change too radically:

Here there is no gay or straight, man or woman, atheist, religious, affluent or homeless, but Christ is all and is in all.

Rather than merely accepting or tolerating those who don't fit the "Christian" mold set out by fundamentalists, we, who claim to be spiritual, must actively love the "others" of society, until the "other" turns into "each other." This scripture suggests that rather than converting and forcing others to fit into what we perceive of as "holy clothing," we should recognize the sacredness in every person. In doing so, I find that it is myself struggling into these clothes of love, growing into them slowly, and occasionally, needing to sacrifice a few pounds.

No comments: